Online Installation of FC3

bruce bedouglas at earthlink.net
Fri May 13 15:58:07 UTC 2005

manish,

the process of going from RH8 -> FC3 is doable, but it takes
time/preparation. this assumes your system that you want to update is
connected to a network, and only has a floppy.

to begin:
 -make sure your system has RH already installed.
 -make sure you've gotten your files/disk backed up
 -get your disk structure 'df -haT'
 -get the files from the FC3 isos and decide where you
  want to install them from (http/ftp)
 -you need to mount the iso files and copy the the resulting files to
  a given location under the http/ftp directory
  (mount -o loop /iso /tmpdir)
  -the tmpdir will then contain the files from the iso, copy these files to
   the location under the http/ftp dir where you want them to be. basically,
   you're going to have a dir with a lot of rpm files
  -do this for each of the FC3 iso files
 -you'll also need to get the image files from the FCS iso1/isolinux...
  and copy it to the RH system's /boot dir.. these should be vmlinuz/initrd*
 -the basic structure of the http/ftp dir will be:
    -fc
       -isolinux
       -Fedora
          -base
          -rpms
 -on your RH system, (assumes you're using grub), add another option for the
new
  system you want to install
 -you can pretty much copy an existing one, and change the information in
the new
  one to point to the new/FC3 vm/init files that you copied over..
 -you also need to either change the grub file to automaticaally point to
the
  new entry, or you can select it from the install/boot menu at the start of
  the process...

 these are pretty much the basic instructions in order to get you
up/running...

 now, if you're dealing with a new system, you might run into weird issues
with the
 monitor, or with running as a headless install...

good luck!!

have fun
-bruce
bedouglas at earthlink.net