OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Fri May 13 17:58:14 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 08:38:45PM +0200, Oded Maimon wrote:
> Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> >There's a lot of talk around the Linux camp about Ubuntu: why? I've read
> >some reviews about it and a few snippets here and there of users
> >opinions on it, but I still don't get it.
> >
> >Short of installing Ubuntu myself, can anyone give me a quick run down
> >on why Ubuntu is apparently rising like a rocket?  Any big differences
> >between Ubuntu and Fedora, besides the fact that Ubuntu is based on
> >bleeding-edge Debian?
> >
> >Also, how does one pronounce the name?  You-bun-too?  Ooo-bun-too?

Technically its oo-boon-to, but I find myself drifting into ah-boon-too.

> >Intrigued,
> >
> >Ranbir

> I read half of this thread, and i wanted to know 2 things:
>
> how the support for Wi-Fi? it comes with ndiswarper?
>
> how the video support? it comes with dual view support? it comes with
> all codecs? with what video tools it comes?

Ask on IRC at freenode: #ubuntu
or goto
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/
and
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/documentation/faq/root

Interestingly, ubuntulinux.org is either down or simply swamped right
now.

KDE Fans - look at
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/kubuntu

Ubuntu with KDE instead of Gnome