Mount option hazardous to USB Flash!

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Sat May 14 00:27:31 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 07:15 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
> Ian Malone wrote:

> > It took quite a while to work out how to change the HAL options for
> > mounting the player.  Neither the fstab-sync manpage or the HAL
> > documentation mention the need to restart the haldaemon to re-read
> > /usr/share/hal/fdi/, which took a while to find out.  Once I had that
> > I couldn't find a rule that would match usb disks, although it should
> > have been easy:

> If you found a config file in /usr it's a bug and FC isn't LSB-compliant
> as I understand it.

	Well now, that's a good question.  It's locate under the
directory /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/...  But is it a "config" file or is
it a shared "policy" file with defaults for the config files.  Seems
like it's the later.  Seems like you can override it with files
in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/...  If you knew what to set up and how.  Right
now, those seem to be just empty directories.  So we modify the policy
file, just because it's obvious what needs to be changed.

> If there's a file in /usr that you need to diddle with and it's not a
> config file, it sounds like it ought to be.

	Sounds like the default policy file is under /usr and you are SUPPOSE
to override it with a config file under /etc.  Problem is, there is no
example there pointing out what to do or how to format it.  Personally,
I like the idea of changing the default policy file, given that it's
hazardous.  OTOH...  Setting it under /etc/hal as a config file would
probably insure that it doesn't get dicked up by a subsequent update.

> I suggest that someone who's affected write up a bug report describing
> the original problem, the workaround and these opinions.

> destroying computer equipment is a fairly serious matter, but so is
> standards-compliance.

	I think they are standards compliant and they could easily argue that
you're not "suppose" to update that file but, rather, create a config
file under /etc/ to override the default policy.  They can argue their
way out of that one and I couldn't argue with them on it.  I just think
the default policy is wrong.

> --

> Cheers
> John