recursive directory

Lokrin redhat at lokrin.net
Sat May 14 03:27:06 UTC 2005

jludwig wrote:

>On Friday 13 May 2005 04:38 pm, Robert Nichols wrote:
>

>>Lokrin wrote:
>>

>>>I have a directory that contains one directory and one file. The problem
>>>is that somehow it is recursive.  I go into it and it contains it's own
>>>directory.  Go into that and you get the same thing.  The TREE commands
>>>keeps going.  RM -RF keeps going.  Under Konqueror, trying to delete the
>>>directory give a status bar and it reaches up to around 15,000 folders
>>>at less then 1% done before it freezes.
>>>
>>>The directoy is not linked in any fashion.  How can I get rid of it?
>>>

>>Unmount the file system and run "fsck -f" on it.  If you can't unmount
>>the file system, running "shutdown -F -r now" will cause a reboot with
>>a forced fsck.  That's overkill, but simple to do.  What you are seeing
>>is file system corruption, and fsck should fix it.
>>
>>--
>>Bob Nichols         rnichols42 at comcast.net
>>

>Thanks I couldn't remember myself.

Thanks all, I've got it fixed now.  I shut down and the reboot showed
the file system as being ok and passed.  I went back to the directory
and tried
RM -rf name
and it took a couple of minutes of wait, but it finally did remove it.
As I noted in another message, I think a program went into some loop and
created them all beforee it died itself.

Thanks again.

Lokrin