Canon Canoscan FB-630P

Olle & Susan ogladso at earthlink.net
Sat May 14 14:29:47 UTC 2005

    A while ago I inquired about getting this scanner working in FC3.
    I did get it working, for the benefit of others, here are the steps
    involved.
    Log on as root.
    Go to /etc/sane.d
    Open the file canon_pp.conf
    Uncomment -or make sure ieee parport0 is uncommented
    Uncomment force_nibble   May cause lock ups if not
    Uncomment FB630P
    Uncomment init_mode FB630P parport 0
    Save the file
    Open the file dll.conf
    Uncomment canon_pp
    Save the file
    Open /dev/parport0
    Set permissions so user can read and write this device
    Logon as your normal user
    Open a terminal
    Type xsane
    Choose color as your mode.
    Put a white piece of paper in your scanner
      From window, choose  standard options
    Click calibrate  If not, your scans will be all purple or green or red
    At this point you can exit the terminal and use Kooka if you wish
    I have one problem, the permissions on parport0 won't stick. I have to
    reset them on next boot up.
    Is there a way to make the permissions stick ?