Xwindows locking up on boot

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Sat May 14 19:03:44 UTC 2005

On Saturday 14 May 2005 02:10 pm, Randolph Jones wrote:
> jludwig wrote:
> >On Saturday 14 May 2005 01:08 am, Randolph Jones wrote:
> >>I have FC3 2.6.11.7. I have been ok for some time, and recently
> >>my system fails on boot every other boot
> >>the x window starts and fails at hardware check, requiring
> >>poweroff and restart
> >>next boot is ok, but if I use cmdline shutdown or the menu it will
> >>freeze the next boot
> >>the mouse moves but keyboard does not respond
> >>the display freezes during the hardware check
> >>I dont see anything in the messages file
> >>Any ideas where to look for the problem?
> >>TIA
> >>rfjones
> >
> >I have had this sort of problem with some programs, especially Adobe and
> > java programs sucking up all CPU resources.
> >
> >Check what you are starting with X a startup program may be at fault.
> >You can use top to see wich ones may be at fault ( you will have to be
> > patient it can take a few minutes for top to start).
>
> Thanks for your reply.
> I can see monitor jitter before X starts; there are lots of new and
> weird things in my init.d dir, but everything seems to run ok on every
> other boot.
> If I power-off to shutdown I have to recover the ext3 journal, orphaned
> nodes etc, and then it runs ok
> if I reboot or shutdown from the menu or the command line, next boot I
> get the jitters in the monitor and the x windows freeze; mouse works but
> kbd doesnt and requires hardware switch to recycle
> what to do?
> rfjones
If there are a lot of new and weird things in your init.d dir what are they.
Has your system been hacked?
Please give a short list of some of these.

Also:

If you hit  "cntl-alt-Backspace" together it will restart 'X'.
If that doesn't work try "cntl-alt-F1" will give you a terminal and hopefully
a reading/printout of the issue/failure.
--
John H Ludwig

Common sense is so rare, why do they call it common!!!

I'm not schitziod! I got better tomorrow.