Alsa Artsd and PCM

david walcroft david_walcroft at yahoo.com.au
Mon May 16 03:46:32 UTC 2005

I have an upto date FC 3 box with KDE and Alsa,in KDE, alsa and
autodetect will not work in control centre > sound system but alsa works
in mplayer xmms . I get this error in sound system :-

Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: default can't be opened for capture (Invalid argument)

Then seeing if I could change artsd settings at the CLI i did :-

[david at reddwarf ~]$ sudo artsd -d -n
unix_connect: can't connect to server
(unix:/tmp/mcop-root/reddwarf-6e15-428811fc)
tcp_connect: can't connect to server (tcp:reddwarf:33074)
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:812:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports
only playback stream
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: default can't be opened for capture (Invalid argument)

Anybody know whats going on.

    david