getting started with mysql

Ankush Grover ankush174 at gmail.com
Mon May 16 04:06:20 UTC 2005

On 5/16/05, Duncan Lithgow <duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk> wrote:
> This seems kinda odd as well, I can get mysql as user, but not as root:

> [root at 3e6b36fa ~]# mysql
> ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: NO)
> [root at 3e6b36fa ~]#

try this

[root at 3e6b36fa ~]# mysqladmin -u root password "newpassword"

Note: the root user for mysql is different than the root(superuser) of Linux.
          "newpassword" here is the password for the user root.

now you have to login as

[root at 3e6b36fa ~]#  mysql -u root -p

It will ask for the password of the root user(mysql root user) ,give
the correct password.After successful authentication you will log into
the mysql prompt

give the access rights to the users.

Regards

Ankush Grover