Mail Server like Yahoo/Hotmail

Erin D. Hughes erin at erinhughes.com
Mon May 16 09:17:34 UTC 2005

Panda wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am planning to convert my Fedora Core 3 Server as mailserver like
>Yahoo/Hotmail.
>Can any one help me regarding this?
>
>Regards
>Falcon

Sorry man but I got to say this first GOOGLE! I mean hell you got a
gmail account so you must know where it is.

Ok now that that is out of the way. Like any project you need some kinda
planning in here.
How many users, what are your goals for the server, where is the server
residing?

IF you and your friends want to have a mail server that hosts your
e-mail for a couple of accounts nothing major and nothing too difficult
then I might suggest.

Sendmail W/ SMTP AUTH + Dovecot IMAP + Squirrlemail

These are all standard packages available with. FC 2 and 3.

Honestly you can pretty much run yum and install all 3 and have it
running in a few minutes.
after all 3 are installed
 From joey bumps  excellent  tutorial
1. Edit sendmail.cf and Change this:

|DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl|

To this:

|dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl|

Generate sendmail.cf, and restart sendmail:

m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
service sendmail restart

2. Start them "/etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail start"
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/dovecot  start"
3. Login with a valid user account to...
http://fullyqualiffieddomainname/webmail/ and play around till you get
mail to go in and out.

SMTP AUTH is pretty important for sending e-mail unless you want to add
users IPs every time they change to your access file. So here is a link
to a very good tutorial on how to do that
http://www.joreybump.com/code/howto/smtpauth.html

Mail to me is the lifeblood of the internet...... If you just "set it
up" you will have problems.... but if you LEARN how to set it up you
will know what you need in order to make a server run, run well and
limit your problems.

Also I suggest you subscribe to the very active mailing lists of the
following and people there will be able to give you more details and BTW
Apache is needed by Squirrelmail.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.mail.sendmail?hl=en
http://www.clamav.net/ml.html#pagestart