Cool uses of PXE ?

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon May 16 11:50:15 UTC 2005

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> I just got a PXE enabled ethernet card. What cool things can I do with
> PXE ? I have FC3 on my server.

:-)
Network-install Fedora, RHEL, Debian (maybe - I think the new installer
works, boot-floppies never worked for me).
Boot DOS off your Linux server, Maybe handy for flashing BIOS.

If you like the idea of attaching a laptop to a switch, then turning on
a brace of bare machines and having them all instantly equipped with
Linux, PXE is good for you.

If you're like my wife (she thinks email is a chore and hasn't
discovered Mozilla or Firefox yet), it's not so great.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait