A question about NTFS

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Mon May 16 14:24:13 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 02:05:46PM +0100, Paulo Lino wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is it possible to bind ntfs to the linux kernel?
Yes.  You have done it each time you downloaded and installed the
linux-ntfs project to your system.

(see definitions 1 and 2 of "bind" below)

It sounds like you really mean can the FC[4-N] project incorporate the
linux-ntfs project into distribution so that its already included each
time you download the distribution.  They can, the question is will
they or have they already included equivalent functionality?

> The problem is that everytime i upgrade the linux core i have to
> download a new version of the

I suspect that you did not really upgrade the Linux "core".
It sounds more like you downloaded a new distribution and used it to
upgrade your current installation.

> linux-ntfs project and go through a few steps in order to enable (again)
> ntfs on my machine. I would like a solution where no matter what core i've
> got on my computer the ntfs file system would always be "up and running".

Unlikely, unless you only download distributions which have incorporated
the linux-ntfs project in their kernels.

In general Linux and UNIX terms "core" doesn't mean a distribution.
"core" is generally used to refer to memory, as in a "a core dump".

Are you using kernel and core as equivalent terms? Or when you say
"core" are you referring to the "Fedora Core Distribution"?

Computer technology definition of "bind" :
   1.  To link subroutines in a program. Applications are often built
with the help of many standard routines or object classes from a
library, and large programs may be built as several program modules.
Binding links all the pieces together. Symbolic tags are used by the
programmer in the program to interface to the routine. At binding time,
the tags are converted into actual memory addresses or disk locations.
See linker and bindings.

   2. To link any element, tag, identifier or mnemonic with another so
that the two are associated in some manner. See alias.

   3. (BIND) (Berkeley Internet Name D omain) The most widely used DNS
server software. The Internet Systems Consortium (ISC) offers a
reference implementation of BIND, which is available at www.isc.org. See
DNS.

   4. In a communications network, to establish a software connection
between one protocol and another. Data flows from the application to the
transport protocol to the network protocol to the data link
protocol and then onto the network. Binding the protocols creates the
internal pathway.