Redundant Servers

Greg Swallow gswallow at cfl.rr.com
Mon May 16 14:28:33 UTC 2005

Thank you Thank you all for your help.

"High Availability" was what I'd forgotten to look for. I'd originally
intended to have
four machines render for the PowerMac so I could continue to model et
al. Speed
was not so much an issue and I was trying to do this with the old
hardware I have
laying around the house to build a openMosix cluster. Due to some
unforeseen
problems I have setup the P4 to do the scene rendering, P3 is a
firewall for the
sub-net, and the 2xP2 boxes to be the HA Cluster.

I'm using Blender on all platforms for 3D and other software on the
PowerMac
for 2D, cell mods, audio, and final editing. I am hoping to use the
farm to render
and take that task off the Apple so I can continue other work. If I had
an unlimited
budget I get myself an IBM Z900 running Linux, but that just isn't
gonna happen.

 >  I presume this is mostly an educational thing; for serious rendering
I'd
 >  look to 8xx Opterons.

Thanks again all for your help.

God Bless,