Backup mail server?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon May 16 20:00:22 UTC 2005

Am Mo, den 16.05.2005 schrieb Matthew Miller um 21:42:

> > > I do not agree.
> > > I think it is not a good idea to allow my client see a warning about my
> > > server unavailability.
> > And how do you think you can prevent that without running a HA mail
> > service?
>
> By using a server with a lower MX priority.

But how is that transparent to the clients? That was a criteria for
Cosme. And I think he means clients trying to send mail. If
mx1.domain.tld is off which is used by the clients for SMTP, how does it
automatically switch to mx2.domain.tld without user intervention? If
other MTAs send to domain.tld, then they will use the available MX,
well. But as said before in this thread: properly configured MTAs will
retry to deliver up to 5 days at least.

> Matthew Miller           mattdm at mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 21:55:07 up 2 days, 21:27, load average: 0.59, 0.31, 0.21