Backup mail server?

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon May 16 22:51:21 UTC 2005

Cosme Faria Corrêa wrote:
> Em Seg, 2005-05-16 às 14:45 -0400, David Cary Hart escreveu:
>
>>On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 15:24 -0300, Cosme Faria Corrêa wrote:
>>
>>>Do not do it.
>>>Buy it.
>>>MX backup at dyndns.org.
>>>

>>Please do not top-post.
>>
>>Terrible idea. Backup MX at a site that you do not control becomes
>>(rapidly) a spam magnet. Backup MX is entirely unnecessary.
>>

> I do not agree.
> I think it is not a good idea to allow my client see a warning about my
> server unavailability.
>
> The MX bkp server just cache your e-mails while you are off-line.
> It is not routine, it is for a emergency.
>
> The relay is closed and it send just for your MX "master", when
> available.
>
> Is there any problem here?

The only mail that regularly comes through my secondary mx is spam. I
tend to side with those who say it's not necessary.

In my environment all mail has to go to one particular box - where the
imap servers are - before my users can see it. If that machine's down,
the mail has to queue somewhere and the senders' servers are fine by me.
They should q there for some hours without the senders noticing, and
that's long enough to cater for most outages, scheduled or unscheduled.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait