Second Mail Server

neidorff neidorff at gmail.com
Mon May 16 23:02:02 UTC 2005

On 5/16/05, Tim Holmes <tholmes at mcaschool.net> wrote:

> Good Morning Everyone:
>
> I am continuing to work on our network here, and I'm very thankful for
> all the help that I have received over the past several months from this
> group.
>
> My next quandary that I am in relates to our second mail server.  Our
> primary box is an exchange server which services all the user e-mail
> accounts etc.  I would like to set up a second mail server to
> primarially run the Email lists - Using Mailman, as well as to host
> e-mail for other domains. (if a teacher owns a domain name, I want to
> host e-mail for them as a benefit of their employment, just like I host
> their webpages)
>
> I am curious to your thoughts on which Mail server would be best (fc3
> box)  Right now it has both sendmail and postfix set up on it, and its
> got its own static IP (public).
>
> Also if anyone knows of a link to a fairly basic guide to either one of
> these severs, I am new e-mail servers and I need some basic instruction.
> I have tried googling and I tend to get stuff that's kinda above where I
> am at.  Lastly, this server (like my primary) needs to use a smart host
> cuz our ISP has got some of our IPs screwed up.

Hi Tim,

Many folks have a problem with the license to qmail....I don't.  I
went to a site:
qmailrocks.org
and downloaded everything that I needed, had it configured, and up and
running in several hours by following the explicit and well writtten
instructions on the site. The installation included: a pop server,
qmail, spamasssassin, clam-anti-virus, squirrellmail (web mail), some
web based admin tools, and log analyzers.  The only times that I had
problems was when I didn't read carefully.  Its straightforward and
bottom line, it works just fine.

Mark