Second Mail Server

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon May 16 23:37:39 UTC 2005

Tim Holmes wrote:
> Good Morning Everyone:
>
> I am continuing to work on our network here, and I'm very thankful for
> all the help that I have received over the past several months from this
> group.
>
> My next quandary that I am in relates to our second mail server.  Our
> primary box is an exchange server which services all the user e-mail
> accounts etc.  I would like to set up a second mail server to
> primarially run the Email lists - Using Mailman, as well as to host
> e-mail for other domains. (if a teacher owns a domain name, I want to
> host e-mail for them as a benefit of their employment, just like I host
> their webpages)
>
> I am curious to your thoughts on which Mail server would be best (fc3
> box)  Right now it has both sendmail and postfix set up on it, and its
> got its own static IP (public).

I _would not_ use Fedora for this. I prefer something which has support*
for longer (so I don't have to take it down and rebuild it often) and
which doesn't get the level of installed changed so readily.

Something like RHEL Education Licence (which costs money) or one of the
clones of RHEL 4 (that don't cost money).

> Also if anyone knows of a link to a fairly basic guide to either one of
> these severs, I am new e-mail servers and I need some basic instruction.
> I have tried googling and I tend to get stuff that's kinda above where I
> am at.  Lastly, this server (like my primary) needs to use a smart host
> cuz our ISP has got some of our IPs screwed up.

RH has long-preferred sendmail; however, I prefer postfix. There is good
postfix documentation at www.postfix.org (including links to more), and
always Google is your friend.

Postfix seems to me easier to configure and reconfigure.

I use postfix, spamassassin, cyrus imap. Were I using sendmail still,
I'd look at mimedefang too.

* Yes, I know about fedoralegacy. I don't like Fedora Current for this
kind of task.

--

Cheers
John