FC 2/3 Backup

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue May 17 15:38:17 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 11:18:35AM -0400, Tim Holmes wrote:
> Good Morning Everyone:
>
> I have just found out that it is not possible to back up our fedora
> servers using our current backup solution (veritas 10 for windows) -
> the remote agent will not work on Fedora.  So I am at the point of
> needing some help, I need some form of a backup solution that will allow
> us to back up the fedora boxes either using the veritas server (like a
> remote agent that works), or some form of a backup solution that I can
> just use
>
> Any suggestions?

Try this:

  On the Fedora boxes, set up a cron job to tarball the directories
  you need to back up.

  Set up a Samba share, and toss the backups into there. Or set up a
  share on the box that is running Veritas, and have the cron job toss
  the tarballs there.

  Have Veritas back up those shares across the net.

That should get you a temporary fix.

For a more permanent and less expensive solution, look into Amanda,
which you already have on your Fedora disti.

Have you contacted Veritas & if so, was their response useful?