missing operating system problem

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue May 17 16:58:54 UTC 2005

Mark A. Beaumont wrote:

> The machine is new. The disk was initially clean (no other OS installed)
> and in the installation procedure I chose to wipe all partitions. I
> followed all the defaults during formatting and installation. I don't
> want a dual boot system. Everything seemed to install smoothly with no
> warning messages. But it will not boot.
>
> Any ideas gratefully received.

Did you try the Fedora Rescue CD?
Or you could try Knoppix.
In either case you could look at /etc/grub.conf
and see if this is correct.
If it is you could try re-installing with "grub-install --recheck/dev/hda"
(or whatever your hard disk is called).

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366