telnet and rsh slow to respond

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue May 17 23:38:55 UTC 2005

Paul Crossman wrote:
> Running Fedora Core 2:
>

> Has anyone seen rshd and telnetd respond in a slow manner?
>

> Specifically, telnetd takes 10 seconds to return a login prompt (just the
> login prompt, everything else shows up right away) and rshd takes 30 seconds
> to return a "permission denied" error.  SELinux is not installed.

I don't use (and don't see the need to use) either; I use ssh which
performs the functionality of both in a more secure manner.

That said, I've seen ssh be slow to respond, and I suspect the reason is
that there are failing (maybe reverse) DNS lookups.

The cure in my case is to fix my DNS lookups, I have some
private-address LANS that don't resolve on others I use so, for example,
192.168.1.1 can't find a host name for 192.168.7.146.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait