FC 2/3 Backup

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed May 18 01:47:14 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 12:22 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 10:54, Tim Holmes wrote:
>
> > Charles -- I am more than willing to try anything at this point,
> > however, I am new to linux, and so I will need a little guidance getting
> > through the process that you described (having cron tarbal the files and
> > move them) -- it sounds like a valid plan, I am just gonna need some
> > help getting it done.
> >
> > As far as Amanda -- I have seen it when doing installs, but I know
> > nothing about it,  is it a backup server or a remote client,  any other
> > info would be appreciated
>
> Amanda generally wants to write directly to a tape drive on the machine
> running the server.  If you are interested in an on-line disk based
> solution, look at backuppc:  http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/
----
Amanada has both a client and server application. Thus on the computer
that has the tape drive, it would need both. Any other system would only
need the client. Apparently there is a version in CVS that backs up to
filesystem and judging by my experience with Amanda, they are likely to
do a very good job at that. I don't believe that the version distributed
with Fedora 3 will do that though.

Craig