FC 2/3 Backup

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 18 17:54:55 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 10:11, Craig White wrote:

> > It's a hairy-scary backup solution if you are used to a "real" backup
> > system, though. It has it's idiosyncracies, but once you get it setup you
> > can leave it to get on with it. I've not touched the setup in the past 6
> > months, it just silently backs-up the clients every night to a 250GB USB
> > drive. I wouldn't want to have to re-build a system from bare-metal using an
> > Amanda backup though.
> ---
> I wouldn't want to have to re-build a system from bare-metal using any
> backup program  ;-)

It isn't that bad with a run-from-CD version of Linux like knoppix,
knowledge of the original partition layout, and the ability to
ssh a command that will give you a tar image of each partition.  The
only slightly difficult part is making the new disk bootable, which
in the case of fedora can be done by booting the install CD in
rescue mode, chroot'ing to the mounted system and running grub-install
(assuming you set labels on the new partitions to match the originals).

> amanda is difficult to set up but once it's running, it's the best I
> have ever seen.

It is great for tapes - bacula might be as good these days but I haven't
tried it.  Backuppc has got to be the best for online backups to a
hard drive, though.  It's pooling/compression scheme will get 5-10x
more data in a given amount of space and it has a nice web interface
for restores that also lets you download directly to the browser.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com