File corruption pattern

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Wed May 18 19:04:19 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 10:14:07PM +1000, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> File corruption - Fedora Core 3
> shutdown -r -F now gives no errors.
>
> Image file created on a P4 system with no problem after
> earlier corruption on AMD 64 machine that was working before.
>
> 13,585,246,488 fc3ll.lzo
>
> File copied to AMD 64 machine using ncftp no error in copy,
> but then fails lzop -t <fc3ll.lzo test with checksum error.
>
> Then copied file to another system to compare original file to
> file from amd 64.
>
> System was working fine with 4 images, but now fails, on image
> creation,
> images that worked before, and even trying to blank drive with
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/0bits (Machine froze after about 8.3GB)
>
> Here is the comparision of the bad file versus good file.
> Note: all addresses end with 3 and all differences are either
> 08 hex or 80 hex?
>
> The system is less than 1 month old, and is an MSI 6741
> motherboard with a 250GB Maxtor Diamond Max 10 6B250R0 drive.
>
> Other than this error, which was working earlier with 4 pervious
> images, but now even those fail the lzop test.
>
> Ran the Gyum, and it went thru the install of the new updates with
> no problem.
>
> Any suggestions on what tests might help to find what is causing the
> problem. Does it look like motherboard, harddisk, hdparm, etc.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm, no, sorry.

We did chase problems with random file corruption on Redhat AS 3 using a
major brand name server with > 6GB of RAM a while back.  Never resolved,
ended up sending back server and suing vendor.

WHAT WE LEARNED was that iozone was an excellent test.  It has a -d
diagnostic option, which will compare what was written to what was read.
I'd suggest you run that with a test file of at least 3X your RAM or
16GB, whatever comes first.   That's now a part of our standard server
test before putting anything on the box.