Compile a driver

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed May 18 20:17:14 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 16:42 +0100, Shahzad Chohan wrote:
> the version of the driver in the kernel
>
> On 5/18/05, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> > Shahzad Chohan wrote:
> > > Many Thanks for all the replies. Basically there is a source on the
> > > adaptec site for the adaptec 29160 scsi card. They provide an RPM but
> > > if I install it it says no pre-built module for the kernel. I assume
> > > its not been updated. They also provide the source but I don't know
> > > how to build it as it doesn't give any instructions on how to build
> > > it.
> >
> > The 29160 card should work with the aic7xxx driver shipped with the
> > Fedora kernel; are you having problems with it?
> >
> > Paul.
> >
> > --
> >

> Hi
>
> Basically I have a problem with veritas netbackup 5.1 and our tape
> library. Communication may be the cause of teh problem. All
> communication goes thorugh the SCSi card adaptech 29160, one of the
> suggested solutions was to upgrade the adaptec driver. I've managed to
> get the source code but I'm stuck as to what to do next. I ran make
> but it said no rule to make /Rule.make. I did make aic7xxx and it just
> bailed out with errors. Adaptec said refer to  linux documentation for
> build instructions. I've searched the web but I can't find anything
> useful. So you guys are my last resort.

Given that the source on the Adaptec website is quite old, I wouldn't be
very confident about it. Before digging into how to build it, you might
want to try instead the aic7xxx_old driver that comes with the standard
kernel. I find that one works better with my 2940 card (the aic7xxx
driver doesn't seem to like my scanner). Worth a try anyway.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>