Printer

John L. Pierce bjjp at kvnet.org
Thu May 19 00:16:32 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 19:57 -0400, Jerry Russell wrote:
> I'm giving up on trying to get my Brother MFC3820CN printer to work thru
> Samba. The print que sends the file but the Samba machine doesn't print
> it. The 3820 is NOT in the Linux list so I tried about every Brother
> driver with no avail. I guess I'll buy a printer for the Linux Machine.
> Now my question what is the best one to use. I want a color printer,
> perferably an InkJet type ?

Jerry, if you can print from your linux system that is running the samba
server then you need to go into /etc/cups and edit the mime.types and
mime.convs files.

In the mime.types file find the line

# application/octet-stream

under Raw Printer Support and uncomment it.

Then in the mime.convs file find the line

# application/octet-stream        application/vnd.cups-raw     0       -

and uncomment it as well.

Hope this will help you.

John