access printer on linux host from winxp guest (VMWARE 4.5.2)

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu May 19 07:43:01 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 15:34 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 14:51 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
>

> > However, samba is capable of providing Windows clients with the driver
> > they need for the printer (just like a Windows print server could),
> > whereas cups cannot do this.
> >
> > Paul.
>

> cups serves up the PPD just fine. I'd not expect XP to need more than
> this (though I won't argue if someone argues it does).

Windows (all varieties) still need a "Printer Driver", and will pop up a
"driver selection" dialog where you can pick the type of printer you
have. A Windows printer server (and samba, if configured to do so), can
supply this driver when you do the "connect to printer", thus avoiding
the requirement for the user to select the driver (and potentially
getting it wrong).

See:
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-
Collection/printing.html#id2581315