Problems running X apps via ssh from non-FC3 box

Toralf Lund toralf at procaptura.com
Thu May 19 20:27:41 UTC 2005

I'm having trouble starting X11 apps that reside on an FC3 box and
display them on a remove X server via ssh. This happens with various
different X servers on non-FC3 boxes. Again, that's when I ssh *to* FC3
*from* a different OS/distro.

One example from a Mac OS X session is taken below. I think I've seen
the same kind of error on Red Hat 9, too. In fact, I may also get the
same problem if remote host is running Enterprise Linux 4 rather than FC3.

This is a kind of problem that make me very upset, since the ability to
do this kind of operation is normally one of the real advantages of
Linux (perhaps the most important one.) I mean, if you give that away,
where are you going to be...

Help, anyone?

% ssh 192.168.2.52 gnome-terminal --sync
dd at 192.168.2.52's password:
The program 'gnome-terminal' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)'.
  (Details: serial 81 error_code 5 request_code 20 minor_code 0)