dual OS boot selection

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri May 20 08:00:13 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 08:23 +0100, Kai Zhang wrote:
> Is there a way to select which OS to boot remotely?
> MBR provides you an option at the very beginning when you power on your box.
> But I will only have access to my PC via VNC or telnet,ssh soon.

Sort of. What you need is that your bootloader's configuration file be
editable from all OSes that you may wish to boot, so that you can set
the default OS and then do a reboot, which will boot into the default
OS.

One way of achieving that is to use the XP bootloader to boot both XP
and Linux (using something like "bootpart" [google for it] to add an
entry to the XP boot.ini file to chain-load grub from the root/boot
partition of your Linux installation), and make the bootable partition a
FAT partition, hence the boot.ini file can be edited from both XP and
Linux. This does of course mean that you need to have thought about this
before installing either OS...

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>