OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Fri May 20 13:03:29 UTC 2005

THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
> On 5/11/05, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Point is that Fedora requires two (not three of four)  CD's while
>> ubuntu requires one for a comparable installation. Rest of the packages
>> can be moved into extras or split up into categories. Discussions are
>> being done in fedora devel list.  We can expect to see major changes by
>> Fedora Core 5

> why should any install of any distribution require more than one cd? If
> most users are downloading either multiple cd or dvd .iso's, then they are
> wasting their time and bandwith unless they use everything on those
> downloads.

If it is really that big of an issue, use the ~5MB boot.iso (I think the
~80MB rescuecd would work, too) and do a network install from a mirror.

However, if you are installing more than two or so machines, I would argue
that you save bandwidth downloading the full ISOs and installing locally.

--
William Hooper