OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

Jerry Gaiser jerryg at gaiser.org
Fri May 20 19:36:38 UTC 2005

On Friday 20 May 2005 00:37, THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
> why should any install of any distribution require more than one cd?
> If most users are downloading either multiple cd or dvd .iso's, then
> they are wasting their time and bandwith unless they use everything on
> those downloads.
>
> all anyone needs is the "minimal," although, of course, what is and
> isn't minimal is contentious.  the rest should be installed with yum,
> or emerge, or foo, or whatever.
>
> Of course, my rant presuposes an internet connection.
>
> -Thufir

I sit on the end of 9 or 10 *miles* of crappy copper - No DSL. I sit on a
dead-end gravel road with about 15-20 other familys - No Cable Television and
therefore No Cable Modems. Satellite service is expensive and unreliable,
when it's available.

So I use dialup and I feel lucky when I can get a 21.6K connection. None of
the automatic updaters are practical for me, so I manually pick and choose
what I think is important.

Broadband penetration in the US and especially the Western US is *much*
smaller than those of you in the big cities imagine.

--
Jerry Gaiser in North Plains, Oregon USA (Zone8a) - 45.6933N 123.0418W