FC4 and KDE : my hopes

Arthur Pemberton dalive at flashmail.com
Fri May 20 23:59:26 UTC 2005

Chris Jones wrote:

>>I did this on my third machine. IT went through without a hitch I am
>>very satisfied. However I have been a bit quizy to do this on my main
>>desktop, as I fear loosing it for any amount of time right now. I did
>>this move to kde-redhat out of pure fustration as some apps I wanted
>>were giving hell to complie without KDE 3.4
>>

>Whilst I am a Fedora and KDE junky myself, and always look for the lastest
>release, I have to say I think Fedoras approach on this is correct.

Fair enough

>Fedora has to stick to a single release - to go from KDE 3.3.x to 3.4.x as a
>normal update is too big a jump for most people. It is not 100% painless (For
>me for example, its was mostly smooth using the kde-redhat repository, apart
>from the fact the kmilo went mad... A quick web search showed this was a
>common problem and kmilo should be disabled. after doing this kde 3.4 is
>fine).

I did this on a test machine, and have been extremely satisfied thus far.

>Whilst I wanted to go to 3.4 to see what it is all about, I accepted the fact
>that things might break. Many users don't want this and thus to do so as a
>"standard" update would be wrong. Fedora should stick to the version frozen
>at release and only release important updates (security etc.) which can be
>back-ported from the current release to that used by Fedora.

Well in that case I stand corrected. I was of the apperently incorrect
understanding that cutting edge, almost test distro.

>The current kopete problem is an example of something which is in the grey
>area - The fix to get it working again is in CVS, but I presume will only be
>in the next KDE 3.4.x release - Do you consider MSN messaging essential that
>Fedora should back-port it to 3.3.x ? Personally I think not...

Well that's true. I don't expect a fix just for that. But there was the
other problem I have been patiently waiting for a fix for kNotes, an
application which I fell in love with only to find out that it did not
save. On checking bugs.kde.org, i found out that this bug had been fixed.

To be quite honest I would be happy with a way to circumvent the need
for an official upgrade. I was prepared to go ahead and patch it myself,
until I found out that the patch was available via subversion, which was
not part of FC. But then I found out that the patch as it is may not
work 100% against the KDE 3.3.1 libs.

>I would add though, despite what I say above I do get the impression that KDE
>is not as well tested as gnome within Fedora. I accept they have to have a
>default - but I think that Fedora should aim to be desktop neutral, and give
>the same level of support to KDE (and XFCE and so on...) as it does gnome.

Again fair enough. For any who may think XFCE is useless, it's a love
GUI to have for a server.