Can't use open oss driver in Fedora Core 3/Gnome

George Bell gabell at cox.net
Sat May 21 16:58:19 UTC 2005

When I first installed Fedora Core 3 alsa was installed by default but the alsa driver
snd_via82xx didn't work:  it produced a buzzing noise whenever anything was played.
So I recompiled the kernel and switched to the free oss driver via82cxxx_audio.  With this
driver I can play files from the command line without the buzzing noise, but now I can't
get it to work in Gnome.  Both the card detection and hardware detection utility in Gnome insist that driver is still snd_via82xx even though now those modules are no longer installed.  I get the impression that either Gnome or the Fedora version of Gnome is "hardwired" to use alsa, but I can't be sure of this as I haven't been able to find any good documentation on the sound system anywhere - Gnome Help, Google, Gnome website, etc.  I've seen some references to sound server and ESD, but I haven't seen any indication of esd running on the system.   Any help at all even if just where I could find more information would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
George