fc3 enabling sound in text mode

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Mon May 23 04:59:24 UTC 2005

First for any blind users this is essential since system-sound-config does
not work in text mode and sound is necessary to have proved operational
before a blind sysadmin starts up gnopernicus unless a braille display is
available or sight is sufficient to use magnification.  I found alsa-utils
package not to be in the yum repository so downloading this package from
the alsa-project site and getting the right version downloaded is
essential.  A build of that package followed by a run of the alsaconf
script and the sysadmin needs to agree to have /etc/modules.conf modified
will get everything working with an es1371 card though .rc.alsasound isn't
found so a sound won't play during configuration.  Once done I usually use
aumix -v 100;aumix -p 100;aumix -c 100;aumix -m 100 to raise the volumes
and alsactl store to save the settings..  After that, aplay -q
/usr/share/sounds/generic.wav or play /usr/share/sounds/generic.wav should
produce some sound on the speakers.  With other sound cards your mileage
may vary.