Grub on floppy

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon May 23 13:16:16 UTC 2005

Bill Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I have been playing with this for three or four days and still haven't
> got it right.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> I run Fedora on my own basement machine.  I have installed Ubantu on my
> wife's WindowsXP upstairs - with her very grudging permission.  Family
> diplomacy suggestes that I do not make her machine a dual boot. (Dual
> booting would just serve has a constant reminder that I have been
> screwing around with her machine.  Any time something goes wrong it will
> be Linux's and consequently my fault.)
>
> What grub files should I but on a floppy to give me a dual boot into her
> system? I would use the floppy as sort of a key. Will I still want or
> need /root?  Is there a way that I can get to the Linux on her system
> while I am on my own Fedora downstairs?

Why not just use grub the way it's meant to be used, but hide the menu
and give it a short timeout?

Probably you can handle a 2-3 seconds timeout (if you don't go to sleep).

> Are any of you married?  Can I really get into big trouble doing this?

I am. My wife does not have dual-boot, she only has Ubuntu (Warty).
Until recently it was still a prerelease - I'd been installing daily and
complaining about what didn't work (the box has the special point of
having a prism54 wireless card in it).

I was very surprised she accepted Gnome - previously she'd only used KDE
(and before that fvwm), I fully expected to be installing Sarge once I
finished playing.

It is possible to get into trouble.

--

Cheers