OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

Emmanuel Seyman seyman at wanadoo.fr
Mon May 23 15:42:16 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 08:33:42PM +0800, John Summerfied wrote:

> Debian beats Fedora here. There are 13,000 or so packages already built
> for Debian.

If by "beats", you mean "is unable to release a version of their
distribution in a reasonable timeframe compared to", I certainly agree.

Reality check. If the number of supported packages was the end-all, be-all
of the Unix distribution, everybody would be using FreeBSD. Since this
isn't the case, there's obviously something else to it.

> Debian does this already, supporting my contention Debian's a better
> base the Fedora Core.

No. It just means that this was a higher priority for Debian developpers
than for the Fedora guys. I can't think of anything Fedora-specific that
makes a one CD install impossible.

> Anything I can do with yum or up2date I can also do with apt-get, but
> apt-get does more that I find useful.

File a RFE (or two or three).

Emmanuel