dual drive bootup problem

Jim Li jimbloke at gmail.com
Mon May 23 18:47:54 UTC 2005

hi,
i am having problems trying to get a dual drive bootup to work. i
check out the following link for help:
http://www.linuxforums.org/tutorials/1/tutorial-3573.html
and basically follow its instruction. my original config. is a dell
machine (optiplex pentium III) with windows2000 on the primary ide
drive (hda1). i want to add another (secondary) hard drive (hdb) to
the machine. so i took my fedora 3 installation disks and tried
installing them. i created three partitions + a swap ( /, /boot,
/home, swap).  i use the option of putting the mbr not to the primary
hard drive partition, hda1, which is my windows mbr, but a partition
on the secondary hard drive (hdb1 or /boot). after installing, i
reinsert disk1 to the cdrom to do a linux rescue, since the bootloader
at this point still only boots up window2000 only. after mounting
/mnt/sysimage which is hdb5 (the root dir, /), i mount /hda1 to
/mnt/sysimage/mnt/windows (a directory i created to mount the C:/
drive of windows). i did the following command: dd if=/dev/hdb1
(/boot) of=/mnt/sysimage/mnt/windows/linux.bin bs=512 count=1, (which
i believe is the mbr bootup image of fedora)... and basically move
this binary file to hda1 (or C: drive), mv linux.bin
/mnt/sysimage/mnt/windows. so after that i did an "exit" to reboot the
system. after rebooting, i got into windows and modified the boot.ini
file by adding one line at the end: c:\linux.bin="My Linux Partition".
so i reboot the machine again.. and at the bootloader menu, i select
the linux partition option. it brought up only one word "Grub"... and
the system stops and never continues. my question is: is it possible
that i did something wrong when i use fedora option to copy the mbr
image to /dev/hdb1 (/boot)? i really don't want to have lilo be my
dual bootloader 'cos that means i need to backup my windows stuff and
reinstall windows as a secondary and not primary drive.
-jim