Please: need help making a live FC3 CD

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Mon May 23 21:11:24 UTC 2005

On 5/21/05, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Gustavo Seabra <gustavo.seabra at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I'd appreciate some help on the subject. Here's
> > exactly what I need:
> >
> > I want to make a live CD that will give me exactly
> > the same OpenOffice.org
> > configuration I have now. Also, the USB attachments
> > and the USB remote
> > I have, that work fine with FC3 now, should work
> > from this CD.
> >
> > The idea is to have a Live CD that I can use to make
> > a presentation using
> > OO.o Impress. I can prepare the presentation on my
> > FC3 machine, and
> > make sure it will work fine anywhere I go.
> >
> > (P.S. I have tried Knoppix, but the presentation
> > gets all weird, with strange
> > fonts. I don't know why.)
> >
> > --

> > Gustavo Seabra
> >     Graduate Student
> > Chemistry Dept.
> > Kansas State University
> > Registered Linux user number 381680
> > Say NO! to software patents:
> > http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com

> Have you tried the linux-live scripts?
> http://www.linux-live.org/
> You need to compile your own kernel or use the one
> provided.  You need to compile squashfs and unionfs to
> the kernel.  It is a hard job, I am close to producing
> one but I missed it by 200MB.  The iso that I made has
> 891 MB, and I was unsucessful reducing it.  I did not
> have a dvd burner on this computer, else I'd be done
> with a Live-DVD.  I will try on later and keep trying.
>  I wanted my very own customized live cd based on
> Fedora.  I know that there are several cd's out there
> that already great but I wanted one that has the same
> apps that I use and are on a cd that I can take
> anywhere.

Antonio,

What you are doing seems exactly what I want to do: have my very own
live cd. I looked at  linux-live scripts, and have a question. So, it
will make an image of whatever distribution I have installed, is that
it? So, I need to make an installation with only the stuff I want on
the live-cd? Or can I customize it to pick what I want only?

Second. If I install their kernel, does it replace my kernel or will
it come as a new entry on grub, so I can use it only when I want, and

I also took a look at the other distros. Adios seems to be another
good starting point, and it already comes with tools to personalize
it. Also, Daniel's suggestion:
http://www.math.concordia.ab.ca/docs/custom-morphix.php
has instructions that seem to be useful for other distributions as
well. (not only morphix).

I'll try more, and post the results here later.