GNOME via remote X server - slow root window redraw

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue May 24 12:41:42 UTC 2005

Toralf Lund wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I though I might forward a question of mine that got no response on the
> mailing list:
>
>> Another thing I thought would be fun to try on my new Mini Mac: I'm
>> logging into GNOME on my FC3 box via XDMCP (on the Fedora host) and 'X
>> -broadcast' (on the Mac.) This actually works rather well. One problem,
>> though: Full root window redraws are very slow. This leads to annoying
>> delays on greeter display, login and also when the logout icon is
>> selected (because of the display "gray-out" operation, I guess.)
>>
>> Any advice?
>>
>> BTW, it seems to me that that X is faster than VNC for *most other*
>> operations...
>>
>> - Toralf
>

> Actually, the problem could be that the connection just isn't fast
> enough for smooth image data display; I'm using an 11Mb wireless link,
> which I now think is quite a bit slower in real terms even than 10Mb UTP
> Ethernet. However, the operation is just as slow with a plain-colour
> background as it is when using an image. Does this mean that raw pixel
> data is sent to the display even in the former mode? Why?

I've used X -query to login to several different machines on my 100 mbit
LAN. There was some slight slowness compared with X on the same box, but
nothing of concern.

I have used VNC over dialup as recently as today, and I found a 1024x768
usable. Not great, but usable. "X -query" would not be a goer over a modem.

Note that the usability of VNC or X over a network depends on what one's
doing. _I_ was mostly typing into xterms and the like, with a bit of
mozzie mail reading. Playing games or movies would be another thing
altogether.

I do not think Gnome a relevant part of your problem.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait