create GUI linux application

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue May 24 12:59:39 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 08:45:29PM +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
> >Because that's pretty iffy in an open source environment right now.
> That's not a concern to everyone, even if they're using an OSOS;-)

Well, it's a concern to *me*, so I want to discourage it. :)

> What parts of Java give problems if OSS is important?

Well, mostly the "running it" part. GCJ isn't yet an option for everything.

> btw Sun has blessed someone (IBM I think) that wants to write an OSS
> implementation of Java.

Well, there's the Apache people's new "Project Harmony". And Sun has said
things like "sure, go out and write an open source version, see if we care",
but I hadn't heard of them blessing anyone -- have you got a reference for
that?