How do I enable nightly yum?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue May 24 13:07:04 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 08:54:35PM +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
> It could, but when I do this:
> sudo yum -i upgrade
> then I get messages telling me what it intends to do. For example,
> earlier today I got to install a new kernel. I know about it, so I know
> that something relevant has changed.

I'm really not convinced by this argument. For the record, I totally support
disabling automatic updates on mission-critical machines which *are*
carefully watched by a vigilant sysadmin. But, on most machines, automatic
updates are important, because I've seen time and again people who disable
automatic updates, and plan with all good intentions to follow security
updates -- and then never do and then their machine gets broken into, and
our security team has to go in and clean up. I'm not saying that this is
*you* -- to the contrary, it sounds like you are careful to follow new
updates and apply them. But if diagnosing possible problems later is your
concern, it's generally not much harder to follow from messages sent by
automatic updates.

> I've also noted that others don't like this new kernel. It stops some
> machines from booting.
> If the machine went down before I reconfigured grub (which I did before
> I saw others' problems), I'd maybe have a dead box.
> If the update had been done automatically, I'd not know about the new
> kernel and there several things I might try before visiting the sick box
> to see what was wrong with it.

Why wouldn't you know about it, though? Are we talking about the case where
the new update is applied but there is a power failure in the second after
that and before the update notice goes out?