dual drive bootup problem

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue May 24 15:27:16 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 11:21 -0400, Jim Li wrote:
> i went to bootpart site. according to what they have... it looks like
> they required the bootup loader to be lilo instead of grub.

No, you don't need LILO. All bootpart does is call up another bootloader
from a different partition, instead of the one in the MBR. LILO, or any
other bootloader can be used.

> so, i went
> and copy the lilo executable from my other linux box and put it in
> /sbin.. and i manually edit /etc/lilo.conf + grab a copy of
> /boot/boot.b from my other machine. i went and change boot env
> variable to boot=/dev/hdb1... i then ran lilo.. with a warning from
> lilo that /dev/hdb1 is not the primary drive... which i simply ignore
> since i know it is not. i reboot the system and ran bootpart... i then
> have it grab the first 512 bytes of /dev/hdb1.. it then automatically
> changes the boot.ini pointing to the /<path>/linux.bin that was
> created on the previous step... reboot the machine again... and select
> the linux partition... i got an endless 0101010101010101.... to
> infinite...  i am seriously thinking of reinstalling fedora3... now,
> my question is, is there a way to install lilo instead of grub with
> fedora 3. i can't find a way to go around it.
> appreciate your suggestion and solution,

Grub should be just fine. Try booting from the first/rescue CD and get
to the system prompt. Then do:

# chroot /mnt/sysimage
# grub-install /dev/hdb1

See how that goes.