Installing binaries

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue May 24 15:57:23 UTC 2005

On 5/23/05, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 08:54:26AM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Also, whenever I download any program, I install it by moving it into
> > /usr/local/bin and running it from there. That's rpm's, perl programs,
> > and anything else. Is this wrong (or right)?
>
> I'm not sure I'm reading you right here. Are you saying you'd copy
> someprogram-1.0-1.i386.rpm to /usr/local/bin?

Yes. I would 'su -' to root, 'mv' it to /usr/local/bin, and them 'rpm
-i' it from there. Same for perl programs (mapivi) and the like.
Whatever was left after each install I would just 'rm'. For perl
programs, that was usually the folder that they created and whatever
was in them.

Is that bad? I'm new to linux and seem to learn best by doing wrong...

Dotan Cohen
http://Liriks-Song.com/
http://LyricsList.com/