Installing binaries

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue May 24 16:30:37 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 18:57 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 5/23/05, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 08:54:26AM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > > Also, whenever I download any program, I install it by moving it into
> > > /usr/local/bin and running it from there. That's rpm's, perl programs,
> > > and anything else. Is this wrong (or right)?
> >
> > I'm not sure I'm reading you right here. Are you saying you'd copy
> > someprogram-1.0-1.i386.rpm to /usr/local/bin?
>
> Yes. I would 'su -' to root, 'mv' it to /usr/local/bin, and them 'rpm
> -i' it from there. Same for perl programs (mapivi) and the like.
> Whatever was left after each install I would just 'rm'. For perl
> programs, that was usually the folder that they created and whatever
> was in them.
>
> Is that bad? I'm new to linux and seem to learn best by doing wrong...

/usr/local/bin should just contain programs (commands you can run) that
you've not installed using RPMs. So in the case of perl
programs/scripts, putting them in /usr/local/bin is probably the right
thing to do.

I usually just download RPMs into my home directory, install them from
there and then save away the RPM in a directory below my home directory
in case I need it again later (e.g. for another machine).

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>