Yum $releasever $basearch

John Austin ja at jaa.org.uk
Tue May 24 18:16:43 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 13:34 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 13:18 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > > Along the same lines:
> > > Is it therefore impossible to force yum to use different
> > > release and basearch without editing the .repro files ?
> > >
> > > Eg On an x86-64 FC install
> > > Remove firefox-64 as the plugins aren't there and install firefox-i386
> > > using yum (and hence jre-i386 with plugins)
> > > Doing this by hand seems painful !!
> > >
> > > Is there a better way ?
> >
> > Not having an x86_64 box, I can't try this myself, but try putting:
> >
> > exclude=firefox.x86_64
> >
> > in your /etc/yum.conf
>
> This is to stop it getting reinstalled btw.; if you already have it
> installed, you can remove it using:
>
> # yum remove firefox.x86_64
>
> A plain "yum install firefox" should then pick up the i386 version
> because the x86_64 version is excluded. That's the theory anyway :-)
>
> Paul.
> --
> Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>

Paul
I confess I am not sure if what I am trying to do is sensible !!!!
Two problems really
1. Installing to the "wrong" basearch (x86-64 versions not available)
2. Installing to the "wrong" releasever (yum repo not available for the
releasever yet)

I have a Athlon64 machine with FCT3 x86-64 installed.
Although my first email was wrt firefox and yum
I have now installed firefox-i386 (tar) and
jre-i386 (rpm-bin) by hand. Working OK
(I have not tried your suggestion yet !!!!)

The general question is whether it is possible/sensible
to try to use yum to install such things on test releases such as
FC4T3 ??
ie Use things like dag's FC3 i386 repo on a
FC4T3 x86-64 built machine.

I can force i386 and 3 in the dag.repo say
baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/os

but not for mirrors as the $basearch variable does not appear
it must be passed some other way as the $ARCH variable appears in the
mirror list
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-
$releasever

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/$ARCH/os/