Dual head video cards ...

Herschel hcohen2 at comcast.net
Tue May 24 19:03:43 UTC 2005

This has to some extent been discussed earlier, however, I have not run
across a communications that covers my situation.  I already own a
Matrox dual head G450 (as seen by Mandrake) - I can operate both
monitors, but they are clones seeing the same view at differing
resolutions with different overall physical sizes.  Not satisfactory,
but at least the configuration sees the card as a dual head with two
different monitors with differing resolutions.

When loading Fedora Core 3 on the same machine on a new disc, it
identified the card as a Matrox G400 and while both monitors can be run
they are forced to use the same resolutions, which could damage the
smaller when run above its optimum setting.  Explanation: they are both
lcd types.

If I choose FC3 and later 4, would I be able to have this card
recognized as a dual head?  Moreover, could I operate each monitor
independently, e.g. one views the code being executed while the other
sees the resulting application?

TIA