Grub on floppy

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Wed May 25 00:29:29 UTC 2005

On 5/23/05, Phil Schaffner <P.R.Schaffner at ieee.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-05-22 at 17:11 -0400, Bill Case wrote:
[snip]
> > Sorry Phil -- so stupid -- I meant /boot.  I have a boot partition on
> > both my machine and hers on which I have installed grub.  On my own
> > machine my boot loader is Boot Magic which I use to call /boot/grub.
> > I meant to ask, how do I set up the floppy to call her /boot/grub, or
> > can I put grub on the floppy and boot from there?, or is there a better
> > way?  Will I still need her /boot/grub partition?
>
> Yes.  Not familiar with Ubuntu, but you will still need to get to the
> the files that live in /boot on Fedora, whether in a directory or a
> partition.  The boot floppy usually does not have room to hold a kernel
> and initrd with the size of today's Linux.

Hi Phil,
Here is what I suggest.  Install GRUB onto the floppy and setup it's
menu.lst to chainload to the GRUB on the disk.  That way, when you get
new kernels, or change something in the list, you do not have to worry
with the list on the floppy.
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-legacy-faq.en.html#q4

Jonathan