Best partitioning?

Johnathan Bailes johnathan.bailes at gmail.com
Wed May 25 02:50:09 UTC 2005

On 5/24/05, Truls Gulbrandsen <trulsg at broadpark.no> wrote:

> Hi there,
> I have just bought a 200GB hardisk that I intend to use as a web, mail
> and fileserver in my homenetwork.  I have been trying to figure out the
> best way to partition this HD but have not been able to find any good
> advice byu searching the net.
>
> I will set up the machine with FC3 and later upgrade to FC4 when it is
> stable.  Or maybe I might as well use FC4t3 and do a final upgrade from
> there - any advice here please?
>
> I would like to partition in such a way that it is easy to upgrade FC as
> new stable releases are available.
>
> Regards,
> Truls

Ok, first this is my opinion.  There are many theories and practices
for setting up *Nix style partitioning.

/boot = (whatever default size RH/Fedora wants) 102MB or so

/home = (this is a server does not need a large home dir structure) 5GB at most

/var = (this is where logs go so give it room to be big)  10-20GB

/ = (you are talking about a loooot of services so ....) everthing else.

Someone will of course let me know if I am missing something here.