Best partitioning?

Johnathan Bailes johnathan.bailes at gmail.com
Wed May 25 03:05:18 UTC 2005

On 5/24/05, Johnathan Bailes <johnathan.bailes at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/24/05, Truls Gulbrandsen <trulsg at broadpark.no> wrote:
> >
> > Hi there,
> > I have just bought a 200GB hardisk that I intend to use as a web, mail
> > and fileserver in my homenetwork.  I have been trying to figure out the
> > best way to partition this HD but have not been able to find any good
> > advice byu searching the net.
> >
> > I will set up the machine with FC3 and later upgrade to FC4 when it is
> > stable.  Or maybe I might as well use FC4t3 and do a final upgrade from
> > there - any advice here please?
> >
> > I would like to partition in such a way that it is easy to upgrade FC as
> > new stable releases are available.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Truls
>
> Ok, first this is my opinion.  There are many theories and practices
> for setting up *Nix style partitioning.
>
> /boot = (whatever default size RH/Fedora wants) 102MB or so
>
> /home = (this is a server does not need a large home dir structure) 5GB at most
>
> /var = (this is where logs go so give it room to be big)  10-20GB
>
> / = (you are talking about a loooot of services so ....) everthing else.
>
> Someone will of course let me know if I am missing something here.

duh forgot about swap

>From the Redhat manual guide from forever ago.

A swap partition (at least 32MB) — swap partitions are used to support
virtual memory. In other words, data is written to a swap partition
when there is not enough RAM to store the data your system is
processing. The size of your swap partition should be equal to twice
your computer's RAM, or 32MB, whichever amount is larger.

For example, if you have 1GB of RAM or less, your swap partition
should be at least equal to the amount of RAM on your system, up to
two times the RAM. For more than 1GB of RAM, 2GB of swap is
recommended. Creating a large swap space partition will be especially
helpful if you plan to upgrade your RAM at a later time.