Dual head video cards ...

Paul Almquist paul at almquist.name
Wed May 25 03:14:18 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 24 May 2005 14:03, Herschel wrote:
> This has to some extent been discussed earlier, however, I have not run
> across a communications that covers my situation.  I already own a
> Matrox dual head G450 (as seen by Mandrake) - I can operate both
> monitors, but they are clones seeing the same view at differing
> resolutions with different overall physical sizes.  Not satisfactory,
> but at least the configuration sees the card as a dual head with two
> different monitors with differing resolutions.
>
> When loading Fedora Core 3 on the same machine on a new disc, it
> identified the card as a Matrox G400 and while both monitors can be run
> they are forced to use the same resolutions, which could damage the
> smaller when run above its optimum setting.  Explanation: they are both
> lcd types.
>
> If I choose FC3 and later 4, would I be able to have this card
> recognized as a dual head?  Moreover, could I operate each monitor
> independently, e.g. one views the code being executed while the other
> sees the resulting application?
>
> TIA
I have FC3 box with a G400 card driving dual 17-inch CRT's.  They are the same
size.  My son has FC3 box with a G450 card driving dual 17-inch LCD's.  They
are the same size also.  We both use the mga driver from the Matrox web site.

I use KDE, he uses GNOME.  The 2 screens function as one large one. We're both
happy.  The only problem we have encountered is xine window goes blank when
it is moved to the right hand screen.  I have a tv card and the same thing
happens with tvtime and kdetv.

If my xorg.conf file would be of interest to you let me know and I'll send it
to you.

--
Paul Almquist
paul at almquist.name