Best partitioning?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed May 25 03:21:33 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 11:17:33PM -0400, Deron Meranda wrote:
> 2. Depending on what you do, you may want to put all the extra
>   space in /home rather than /.  For instance if you will create a lot
>   of data files (music, etc); make a 10-15GB / and everything else in /home.
>   You may however decide just to have on big / and no separate /home
>   partition at all (only do that for single-user systems).

I find /home really useful on single-user systems too, since it makes doing
wipe-and-reinstall upgrades very clean and basically painless.

For similar reasons, I suggest making a separate /srv partition and put all
of your non-transient server data there.

> The other really BIG thing that you'll want to do to insure that you
> can continue to upgrade easily is to put almost everything under LVM
> (logical volume manager).  Only the /boot partition should be a real
> partition (/dev/hda0).  Then allocate the rest of the drive as one big
> ~200GB LVM partition.  All the other filesystems/swap are then put
> inside the LVM (called "logical volumes" rather than "partitions").

Yes, excellent advice. This'll make your first guess much less critical.