How to turn sendmail authentication off

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed May 25 07:45:36 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 14:28 +1200, Cameron Beattie wrote:
> I have been struggling with configuring sendmail without authentication. If
> I comment out confAUTH_OPTIONS in sendmail.mc sendmail is still requiring
> authentication.
> sendmail.mc
> <snip>
> include(`/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl
> VERSIONID(`setup for Red Hat Linux')dnl
> OSTYPE(`linux')dnl
> dnl define ('confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl
> dnl define ('confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A p')dnl
> </snip>
>
> telnet localhost 25
> ehlo localhost.localdomain
> <snip>
> 250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
> </snip>

This is sendmail *offering* authentication. It's not *requiring* it.

> I want to configure sendmail so that it will only relay mail from localhost
> and will not require authentication. How do I turn off authentication?
>
> Any help would be appreciated

If you have FEATURE(`access_db') and a line:

127.0.0.1                       RELAY

in /etc/mail/access, it should relay mail for localhost without
requiring authentication (and these are default settings).

You don't have "M=a" or "M=Ea" in the DAEMON_OPTIONS line for your MTA,
do you?

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>